Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Floor plans and more floor plans

As you may know, we have been looking for apartments in Burlington, On. It is where Brandyn works and we will save $300 on car insurance a month by moving there (where we live now is the highest rated city, don't even ask how much we pay it is beyond disgusting). With any apartment hunt you have to know what you want and how much you are willing to spend. 

Here is a breakdown:
Price: No more than $1200 (we would prefer it to be all inclusive with laundry if we are going to pay over 1100) 
 1 Bedroom
Ensuite Laundry 
Cats OK
Ample closet space/some sort of storage
Decent sized kitchen 

I don't think it is that outrageous of a list but that being said... I'm having a hard time finding ensuite laundry. I've found 2 buildings that I like, neither of them have units available so I'm just kind of waiting while still looking for others. Before I get into those floor plans, I wanted to show you floor plans of the previous apartments we have lived in because they have helped create this list.

Here is the first apartment Brandyn and I moved into:


It is not to scale but I think I did a pretty good job. Also, we had a balcony, I just didn't care enough to add it in there. There are 2 things on our list now that are not in this apartment: decent kitchen size and laundry. 
We had tons of closet space which was nice and I definitely missed that in our second apartment but as you can see by this floor plan, the kitchen was kind of a joke. We had to buy a little stand from Ikea to put the microwave on and I often used our table as a space for cooking and baking. 
Besides the laundry and kitchen which we made work, this apartment was actually pretty decent. The only reason we moved out of there was because they wanted to raise the rent and it became cheaper to rent our other apartment which was also closer to my school (so less commute time).


This apartment was our second one and a basement suite. I know these dimensions are all off because the bedroom is way wider than it actually was. Also I couldn't change the floor covering so don't worry, the floor wasn't actually green.

But yea so in this one there is an awesome kitchen but no closets! The "walk in" in our bedroom is the only closet and I say it with sarcasm because if you had clothes on both racks you actually couldn't walk into it. There was storage in the back of the closet which was nice (even though you had to crawl under the clothes to get to it). Also if you notice... the litter box is in the middle of the hallway.... our apartment always smelt like roses .... .....

So anyway yea those are the two apartments we have lived in. So as you can see, ample closet space and decent kitchen storage is a must on our list. If I look at an apartment with little cabinets, I move on.

I have basically picked out two apartments that I like so far. There are no suites available at either but if one opens up while I'm still looking I will definitely be applying.


Can you see what I love about this one? Eat in kitchen, good cupboard space, lots of closets, a washer and dryer and even a storage room so we can put the litter box in there!


This one is part of an older building and although ti doesn't have ensuite laundry, there are quite a few closets and the kitchen has a lot of cupboard space (although it doesn't look like it in the plan). This building is also right on the lake so that is really nice as well.

I also just found these apartments recently that ARE available. I just have to go see them. 

 I love that this one has a little breakfast area plus a dining room. It means we can just convert the dining room into a little office space. Plus a storage room!
This one doesn't have a storage space but it has a nice spacious kitchen and quite a few closets so I can use them as storage. See that second linen closet in the bedroom? That would be for my shoes ;)

Alright, phew! Now that I've got that all out of the way.... I'm hoping I can find a good place soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment