Saturday, August 11, 2012

Issues with Ceremony Venue

I think I have to start organizing my blog posts that I want to do because I have so many updates for you and I still haven't talked about what happened with the churches like I promised!

I planned this post to be something else but I guess I should do this instead.

Alright so before I begin, I am in no way slamming any religion, I respect everyone's right to practice their religion.

I was originally planning to book the wedding at the catholic church very close to my Dad's house. I was baptized in it and my brother was baptized in it as well. I was pretty worried that they weren't going to let me because I wasn't registered there as I don't live there right now and all the backup I considered didn't really work because they were out of budget (and just seemed like a pain in the butt. I want this to be as simple as possible).

Well... when I took my trip to Toronto I had two weeks to book. I called the church and explained the situation. The lady on the phone didn't seem to impressed, she was kind of patronizing actually which always bugs me but I was at their mercy. She told me I needed to come to mass and talk to the priest to pick up a marriage package. Ok doke no problemo. Or so I thought.

Problem 1:
That weekend my brother had a soccer tournament about 45 minutes away and my Dad absolutely can not be late for his games... I had to do some arm twisting and guilt tripping and he eventually came with me (we weren't even late for the game, we got there as it was starting). So that problem: resolved.

Problem 2:  
After mass, I asked the priest and he said I needed to go get the package from the office. We go to the office and it's locked.. of course because the church office isn't open on weekends!

So now it's Sunday ... my free weekend is gone because the next weekend was my cousin's wedding. I called the next day and asked her the hours and she asked why I was calling and I told her. She says, "You have to go to mass to pick that up." So I said that I did and the priest redirected me here and she was like "oh ok..."

So I go in the next day, my Dad lent me his car for the day so I could go book all the venues (a contract had already been made for the hall my last visit in April, I just needed put the down payment)

The Last Straw:
I was told they were open 9 - 4 except lunch. I decided 1 would be a good time to show up. Lunch should be over by then. I get there, no one is there. So ... I wait. .... for 2 hours. In that 2 hours a group of church volunteers came out of a room and said she had taken her lunch at 11 and would be back in 2 hours. Mhmmm..... So anyway I got to the point where I said.. you know what... I'm just going to leave and go to this other church that's over budget but its christian so they are less strict. As I'm walking out this woman pulls up in her car and she says to me, "do you need the office?" I respond yes and follow her in. I tell her I'm here to pick up the marriage package. She then acts all relaxed and sits there organizing her desk (you know, pulling stuff from her purse and strategically placing it around the desk). She then hands me an envelope and says nothing. I ask, "So do I just fill this stuff out?" And she says, "Fill it out, bring it back in and then I will make an appointment for you to meet with the priest sometime next week."

Maybe I was being a bit delusional but I thought I could just fill out the papers there and then meet with the priest after or within the next couple days but I guess not. Anyway.... I did not have time to deal with that and the way I was being treated ... I wasn't impressed so by that time I was just mad. She knew I was the girl who lived in Vancouver and was leaving .... I politely said ok and walked out that door. I then drove to St Paul's, went in and asked about booking a wedding. She gave me a sheet to fill out, was extremely friendly and said that once I hand in the deposit, it will be booked. I was amazed at how easy that was. I decided we could deal with being $130 over budget for the ceremony but I will have to make sure I stick everywhere else and I've been doing a good job.

I then proceeded to the hall and booked that - also very fast and easy. Done and done. When I got home I told my Dad what happened and his response was, "They're getting to be snobs over there." He was meaning that congregation in the church specifically. I did not feel welcome that's for sure even though that was my family's church. My cousin had also warned me because she had originally went there as well.

In the end though, I am very happy with the church I booked because they are really nice, easy to communicate with and the church itself is beautiful!





Pictures were found here



No comments:

Post a Comment